About Me

Unknown
Nashvegas TN
VIEW MY PROFILE

Contact Me!

Call me on my GoogleVoice number: 615-823-1734

Labels

Archives

I HAVE MOVED

THIS IS NO LONGER MY BLOG
I HAVE MOVED TO
http://nicholsonrecords.com/paul
Please redirect your links!

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

avoid me for a while

Everyone may want to avoid me for a while.

Not because i'm angry or violent or anything. I just feel like i have one of those little personal rain clouds following me around.

First the whole mess with the Predators being bought and likely possibly moving.

Then i went out and did a bunch of yard work over the weekend a while back and ended up with so many bug bites of various kinds that i had to work from home (couldn't put shoes on) and take Benadryl for 72 straight hours. Thanks to work policy, still had to take PBA time for staying at home, but couldn't afford not to work a little. I was glad to find out that chiggers don't actually burrow into your skin as i've frequently heard. But man it feels like it sometimes.

Then my company announces that they are laying off 10% of their global workforce, which is between 4,000-8,000 people depending on who's article you read. My job is reasonably secure, but less so than when i was a normal old sales rep. The perils of promotion.

Then i start getting myself all worked up over stuff in the news and things i'm reading online. Just good old tilting at windmills kinda stuff too. Like our Political system being horribly broken. Yeah. I'm gonna fix that one alright. But of course, they aren't the same things everyone else is upset about, so not many people join in the conversation with me. They are all too distracted with even more explosive debates that i don't even want to get caught up in. People are just mean.

Then i find out that Brittney's quitting NiT and who knows what is going to happen to that site now. It really is a cool site. Good sense of community. Good place for me to find other bloggers and photographers around Nashvegas. (and the link love, don't forget the traffic and the TV time!).

And now i come home and read that Market Street Pub, a place that i didn't exactly frequent but was a sentimental place for me, is closing. Or rather, changing over to a...chain. I shudder at the word.

Many times i've gone there with my dad or friends before going to a Predators game. There was just something right about going to a place like that and ordering fish and chips before going to a hockey game. It was especially fun on nights against the Red Wings because large groups of both fans would sit in various parts of the bar and start chanting at each other. Whenever anyone would enter the bar wearing a sweater (read: jersey), which of course i always was, one side would cheer wildly while the other booed. It was great.

It is really strange, but i've formed a lot of friendships, and had some really deep conversations there. I've only been there maybe...10 times. But every time was somehow loaded with something deeper. For no particular reason. So i think this is hitting me harder than some other places closing.

It was where Christy and i really started to get to know Brett and Anne, old co-workers of mine who we go to Preds games with now. I went to dinner with a friend there and we had a good heart to heart about some hard stuff the guy was going through, and never really recovered from (as far as i know) before he left his family and friends and 'gave up'. I don't know where he is now. It was one of the places where Jamie and i had dinner together after not seeing each other for nearly a year, renewing our friendship for the 3rd (or 4th) time.

A lot of stuff happened there for me. And i just now realized it. Strange how it matters to me so much all of a sudden.

...oh, and now i also can't get Amy's xanga login info to work, so i can't post her latest entry about her trip to Moscow. (My sister is in Moscow, and i have her blog login so i can post her emails about her exploits). She did upload a lot of really cool pictures to Flickr though. Everyone go check them out! Apparently there are silly girls and cats in Moscow too. Great pictures Amy!

Anyway...i'm not really that grumpy or angry or anything. Just down.
It's been a rough few weeks and i'm drained.

Update: Wow. It felt really good to write that post. Not that i feel a ton better, but it is amazing how cathartic that was.

Update 2: My wife and i watched
Hellboy tonight for the first time (Blockbuster online lets us watch all sorts of mediocre movies we'd otherwise never see). Really strange movie, but oddly enough, i think i was in the perfect mood to watch it. Really weird, dark, and kinda...happy...i think...? Oh - and there's an example of yet another sequel coming your way.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I just feel like i have one of those little personal rain clouds following me around.

You're a rain god!