I HAVE MOVED

THIS IS NO LONGER MY BLOG
I HAVE MOVED TO
http://nicholsonrecords.com/paul
Please redirect your links!

Sunday, April 15, 2007

the game that was

I kinda feel like this represents the state of basketball in my life right now.

It's a shot of a goal nailed up to a tree across the street from my friend Jamie's old place (just helped him move)

2 years ago I would have listed basketball as my number one sport, and i still love to shoot hoops on my own when no one is looking - but the last time i did that was more than a year ago. and now that i've gotten so in to hockey, and we have a team in town, i haven't been following my Spurs most of this year. maybe when the NBA playoffs start up i'll get back in to it again.

I was talking with my dad about this at the last Predators game. It really makes me sad. I just like hockey better right now. I guess that's ok. That doesn't make me bad right? I just grew up cheering hard-core for the Spurs for so long, i played basketball as a kid (in church leagues and pick-up games).

But the current version of the game, the way the refs call things and the way most teams play...the way the league is so unbalanced...it just doesn't grab me the way it used to.

I am sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that i am going to hockey games live, and live a couple of hundred miles away from the nearest NBA town (500+ if you are looking for a team that actually wins games). We don't have cable and i almost never get to watch Spurs games anymore. Here at the end of the season and in the playoffs that should change since ABC broadcasts games...but now i don't know what's going on. I don't know who's who. I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head who plays center for the Spurs most of the time right now.

I still have a Spurs flag next to the Predators flag on my desk at work. And i still have an autographed David Robinson poster, "Go Spurs Go" sign, and a few other cool Spurs items in the sports-themed (Predators dominated) bathroom downstairs.

But alas, basketball is not the game it once was for me.

I have to say there is the teenie tiniest part of me that hopes that if the Predators don't win it all this year that they just get knocked out early so i can have more time to watch the Spurs in the playoffs. Of course the same could go in reverse. I don't even know if the Spurs are strong enough to guarantee our usually deep playoff run this year.

1 comment:

Amy Jones said...

I know how you feel in some ways. While I was in Memphis visiting Bethany and Jonathan for their wedding last weekend we saw a really really tall guy outside a Beale Street club. Turns out he's Paul somebody, I think, of the Grizzlies. I realized how far the Basketball world is to me now. I've never been into any sport as much as you, but I do love the Spurs. The Hornets are not an option. I could fall in love with the Saints easy enough, but never the Hornets.

I like that you're such a big hockey fan now. I'm kinda sad I don't share it with you (something about New Orleans not so much into ice sports) but I'm strangely proud of your passion for you home team. :) Go Preds!